Friday 8 August 2014

What is the price of my salvation?

I believe that Jesus Christ, true God and true Man is my Lord, who has redeemed me, a lost and condemned person, purchased and won me from all sin and death, and from the power of the devil...

Not with gold or silver, but with His holy precious blood and with His innocent suffering and death.

God has bought you back from sin and death.  He has paid the price.  But what is it?  Not gold, not silver.  His own God blood and His innocence - put into suffering and death for you.

When we think on this great price, it is utterly baffling.  We cannot even understand this price.  It is beyond all measurements, beyond numbers, beyond humanity itself.  How could a holy, pure God give His holiness away - waste it, be cursed and become sin, to those who torture and crucify Him?  This is the Gospel - the Good News - News that is so remarkable - so incredibly compelling that it goes beyond telling.  It is simply believed.  No human has thought this up - it is too lofty and its depths are too great.

A cherished Lenten hymn - When I Survey the Wondrous Cross - captures this sentiment in its final stanza.

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a tribute far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Nothing can give enough thanks for what He has done - but certainly, your soul, your life, your all is a start.  The final "cherry on top" in the justification of the ungodly is that even your missing thanksgiving - even the lack of praise and worship, prayer and gratitude that should come as a response to His sacrifice - He makes up for with His blood.

He is saving us through and through.  Our sin has truly been washed away in His blood.

No comments:

Post a Comment